Friday, October 2, 2009

The Joy of Returning

I never like to leave the bookstore for long, but last weekend I traveled to Pennsylvania for a quick visit home. Can you imagine how much changes in a bookstore in one week? I returned to Grass Roots this afternoon and was overwhelmed. New beautiful books smiling and leaping into my open arms from every shelf!!!

I was so overjoyed by the new bookstore residents that I had to catalog some of them here for you. Here's a peek at the source of my joy.


The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer
I'm always on the lookout for books to recommend to my mother. I can't wait to tell her about this one (and I hope my book group reads it someday). This is the true story of a young man who grew up in Malawi and started building electricity-generating and water-pumping windmills out of scrap metal, tractor parts, and bicycle halves. Kamkwamba has received international attention for his efforts and inventions. Co-authored by journalist Bryan Mealer. Visit this great website to learn more about Kamkwamba and his projects: Moving Windmills Project. I suspect this might be a great follow-up for those folks who loved Three Cups of Tea and Mountains Beyond Mountains.


The Little Prince Deluxe Pop-Up Book; Unabridged Edition, by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Ah, ah, ah, this magnificent book is finally here in the store resting on our very own shelves in all its sweetness and glory. The original charming illustrations now try to kiss your nose when you turn the pages! Stop by to delight in this clever adaptation in person.


Prairie Home Companion Pretty Good Joke Book, 5th Edition; introduced by Garrison Keillor
I love Garrison Keillor and I love his annual joke show, partly because it always coincides with my April Fool's birthday. My first impulse is to ship this to my little brother in Chia Yi, Taiwan, since he's my favorite joker, but I wonder who he would share the jokes with, since most of his conversations are in Mandarin? Here's just one:

Did you hear Willie Nelson got hit by a car?
He was playing on the road again.



Signspotting III: Lost and Loster in Translation, compiled by Doug Lansky
This book had me chuckling so much my co-worker came across the store to check on me. This is a snapshot collection of awkward signage... want to make a stop at the Death Valley Health Center? Hang your jacket in the Cloa Kroom? And what does this mean? Octopus is available at the EXIT of the car park!


Bananagrams
This isn't a book - it's a game, and I love it! Imagine lots of scrabble tiles inside a yellow bag that looks like a banana... and imagine a game based around anagrams... and you have bananagrams! I've been playing this with my family and with my housemates and we've all been tickled. You can buy the Bananagrams book separately for some extra challenges.

I'm out of time now, but check back tomorrow for the rest of my list!
~April

No comments:

Post a Comment