Saturday, August 28, 2010

It'll always be books for me!

I am experiencing technical difficulties.  Actually, I had numerous problems all of last week, resulting in my inability to access our Facebook fan page, my inability to update our staff reviews on our website, my inability to watch Project Runway off the Tivo on Sunday night, and a particularly bizarre dream last night where I woke up mumbling something about some social media application that I couldn't think of the name of, although I was SURE it existed...  Thankfully I went back to sleep after that last one.  At any rate, it was a rough week between me and technology.

I keep these things in mind as I continue to see headlines regarding the increased market share of e-books in the literary world.  I try to keep these things in mind when I see commercials for the iPad.  (I don't NEED an iPad, but gosh I sure do like their advertising...)  I am confident that there will always be people like me: In the September issue of Wired magazine, of all places, a reader wrote in and confessed to killing a scorpion by slamming a book down on top of it.  Would you like to attempt that with your e-reader?  Take that, Kindle.

I am not afraid of technology.  I'm addicted to Facebook (stupid Bejweled Blitz...), and clearly even I can write up a blog.  It's not fear that drives me to hold onto my books.  It's an undeniable desire to hold that book in my hand, to feel the pages. And I don't think I need to tell you about the smell of books.  Admit--y'all know what I'm talking about.

So if ever you can't find me, just look for the girl with her nose in a book, her glasses halfway down her nose as she absorbs as many of those words as she can....

See you at the bookstore!
Pamela.

2 comments:

  1. I tried a couple of eBooks on my Mac. It just didn't work for me. But, as I continue to write on my computer, I begin to wonder how to format it. If the book gets published, will it be on paper, or LCD?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the observations of a published author a few weeks ago, commenting on converting his books to eBooks. He made a fine point for the author: How does one sign an eBook when doing your book tour? I, in any case, would inevitably break it.

    ReplyDelete