Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Something for those cozy, rainy evenings ahead...

The last week has been full of abolutely golden autumn days, with just a touch of crispness in the air. All afternoon I've heard customers waxing poetic about the weather. It comes with extra poignancy as I peek ahead into the future on Yahoo Weather and see that which we dread: THE RAINY SEASON. Sigh...

Typically I'm able to embrace our damp winters with a warm heart and some enthusiasm. This year is more of a challenge, since summer seems to have barely set foot in the Willamette Valley. The rain is coming, though, so I'll remind myself of the bright side of the dim: fuzzy wool yarn, bamboo knitting needles, and delicious cookies. Now that's my idea of a cozy way to greet the weather.

Two books have arrived that I am rather eager to get my mitts on.  The first is Stitch 'n Bitch Superstar Knitting: Go Beyond the Basics by Debbie Stoller. I have long admired Stoller's work, since it was while having her first book awkwardly cracked open on a coffee shop table that I learned to knit. No, I haven't made it far beyond scarves and dish rags (plus two cup cozies and ONE lonely sock), but I like to aspire to greatness. Stoller's newest work goes far beyond the basics, and includes 41 patterns for garments and accessories. There are even some sassy new scarves that I might try.

The other knitting book with allure that is within my reach (and the abilities of my stash) is Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks by Judith Durant. See that? Beyond socks! Perhaps I could knit my lone sock a friend that is not a sock, yet conveniently color coordinates! I would be knitting beyond the sock... There are some really really really adorable scarves in here at any rate. Ah, the Loveliness! Oh, the yarn! Sigh, the happiness!

These things should keep my hands busy for a little while. Well, that and the flutter of my fingers over the keyboard in November for NaNoWriMo. Perhaps I will be more successful with that than with my regular blog posts here. Sorry, but the stack of books waiting at home for me is just so distracting...

In between my distractions, I'll see you at the bookstore!
Pamela.

No comments:

Post a Comment