Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rhapsody in Red...and White...and Sometimes Blush

The semi-annual "Rhapsody in the Vineyard" wine walk visited downtown Corvallis last weekend, and with it came a pleasant array of people and potables into our neighborhood.  Eager to get out and sample some delights myself, I did my best to read up on wine and wine tasting so I could make the most of my experience.

First up, I had to take a look at Wine Drinking for Inspired Thinking, by Michael J. Gelb.  Being at least a moderately creative person myself, I wondered how comsuming one of my favorite libations might help that creativity blossom.  The book starts out by providing a basic education of wine.  Gelb discusses tasting wine and buying it, and pairing it with food.  My favorite suggestion?  Pair popcorn with champagne.  Anything that goes well with popcorn is a win in my notebook.  Perhaps while I am munching on my popcorn and sipping my fine champagne all of my creative juices will be freed.  I'll write that book in no time.  I feel so...inspired...
(ISBN 0-7624-3868-1, $19.95)



The next step is to find out where to buy the best wine.  I am fortunate to be living in the Willamette Valley, and Corvallis is a great town for wine lovers.  Wine Trails of Oregon by Steve Roberts is an excellent guidebook for discovering great wines from all around the state.  It conveniently groups wineries into easy tours, and discusses their finest products and facilities.  In 24 unique trips, it covers the whole state.  Ready to try something new?  Pick up this book.  If you're going a little further afield, we also carry Wine Trails of Washington.
(ISBN  0-9792698-1-4, $24.95)




I hope someday my own wine trails will lead me to Ponzi Vineyards to sample their famed Pinot Noir.   The vineyard's founder, Nancy Ponzi, also has a great affinity for delicious food.  Her book, The Ponzi Vineyards Cookbook, features some of her favorite recipes.  Flipping through it and admiring the outstanding photography, it's hard to pick just one.  Please come and look at it and tell me what to cook!
(ISBN 0-9816822-4-3, $24.95)




In the end, I had a fantastic time at the wine walk.  My favorites included the fine Tempranillo from Nuthatch Cellars, and, surprisingly, a Gewurtzraminer from Depoe Bay Winery.  A little red, a little white, but the only thing blushing last night was me; I'm afraid wine consumption does turn my cheeks pink.  :-)


See you at the bookstore!
Pamela.

1 comment:

  1. Rhapsody in the Vineyard was a great evening, had a friend up from California, and she felt particularly treated to a wonderful Corvallis evening. And yes, Nuthatch is a great vineyard. I also like Pheasant, right here in Philomath.

    ReplyDelete