Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Judging a book

Don't judge a book by its cover.

All righty then.  Working in a bookstore and seeing new books everyday, it's impossible not to judge books in some way by their cover.  Seeing a well-designed cover on a new edition of a classic novel has led me to be the proud owner of two copies of the same book in a few cases, but usually I've already read the book at least once and I know what I'm getting myself into.  I try not to randomly buy books I'm unfamiliar with based on their covers, though.

When we flip the books over, however, my willingness to judge increases.  I do enjoy admiring and mocking author photos.  Dr. Phil and the authors of computer manuals just throw it all out there on the front covers:  "BAM!  This is who I am!  Look at my confident/pleading expression!  We can help each other!"

I really think authors should give careful consideration to the image they are projecting of themselves on the back cover of their books.  In general, I frown upon Glamor Shots-like images of overly made-up women in clothes that don't belong to them trying to pose in the style of senior photos.  I also think authors should think about the content of the book they are posing for.  My inspiration today came from a conversation I had with a regular customer and a coworker.  As we discussed poetry and poets; Shel Silverstein's name came up.  He writes clever fantastic poetry and illustrates them dynamically.  The photos of himself he uses on his books, however?  They kind of creep me out.  I'm just saying.  It is definitely an instance where I have to separate the image given to me of the author from what I'm reading.

The same discussion lead me to pick up a copy of Good Poems, selected and introduced by Garrison Keillor.  We were looking for a particular poem that had come up("Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver, if you're keeping score.  I was easily distracted by the sound of geese flying overhead outside.), and my hand alighted on the copy of Good Poems sitting on top of the case.  And then the book flipped open, and staring menacingly at me from the inside of the back cover was Mr. Keillor.  EEEEK!  I know he's an odd-looking fellow, but Mr. Keillor looks more like a serial killer in this photo than the affable, Midwestern host of a weekly radio show where humor features significantly.  Please, Garrison, keep your gift for dramatic rendering to your reading, and not your portraits.

I can not discuss my obsession with author photos (yes, I'm afraid this is just the tip of the iceberg, but I'll spare you...) without mentioning Robert B. Parker.  Parker authored over 70 books throughout his life, mostly crime novels.  (Unfortunately he died of a heart attack while writing at his desk this past January.  What a way for a writer to go...)  It's been interesting to see how his image has changed on the backs of his novels throughout my bookselling career.  As a writer of crime fiction, I first noticed his photos depicting him in a leather bomber jacket, wearing sunglasses and a hat, glowering as one of his large dogs poised beside him.  Yeah, don't want to meet him in a dark alley.  Later he seemed to go for more of a "warm and fuzzy" look, as he posed, head perched tenderly upon his hand as he lounged in a wing-back chair, a charming and boyish smile on his face.  "Sit here with Uncle Bobby, kids, and I'll tell you a story!" 
Finally he seemed to reach a happy medium, as he leaned jauntily against a picket fence, an expression on his face that's at least non-threatening.  And his dog doesn't look like he wants to take a bite out of your hand.  It's as if he's inviting us to his next backyard barbeque.

Someday the question will be, how do I want to present myself on the back of a book to my adoring readers?  Whatever I decide on, I hope it will be welcoming enough that people will want to read what I have to say.  I also hope it will be true enough that the people who know me won't mock me too mercilessly.  Regardless, I'm sure I'll fall under the scrutiny of some harsh and judging eye.  That is just the nature of the book business I guess.

I'll be at the desk at Grass Roots pondering that in the meantime.  See you in the bookstore--
Pamela.

No comments:

Post a Comment