Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Not becoming Mom, Finally!


I am keeping the blog short this week, since I've been off for a few days.  Hopefully I have been doing lots of gardening and cooking and eating, and even perhaps sitting with my feet up while I enjoy a delicious new book.  I wanted to expand on my Nightstand review that appeared in this week's Grass Roots Reader.  I had to share my love of Ruth Reichl, and recommended her newest book in paperback, For You Mom, Finally.  It seemed beset with a great mystery, as its cover and title changed from the hardcover.  The marketing gods screamed down from her publisher, Penguin, I guess.  Originally it was titled Not Becoming My Mother.  That is a huge difference in tone. You can read the "why" in this piece at USA Today.

I loved my mother, and for the most part we got along really well.  Would I have chosen the life she did?  Heck no.  Do I find myself unwittingly making some of the same choices?  Well...I don't want to spread gossip, so I won't.  Parent-child relationships are almost always challenging, and Reichl's was no different.  It is a wonderful book, and it's a short and easy read.  Pick it up soon!

See you at the bookstore--
Pamela.

No comments:

Post a Comment