Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Olympic-Sized Inspiration

Friday night I was sitting in front of the TV watching the opening ceremonies with my honey when I was overcome by a slight sensation of panic: I was supposed to be casting on a new knitting project for the Ravelympics! You know you're in a deep state of dork-dom when things like that make you panic. In a flurry I grabbed a pair of size 15 needles and a skein of orange creamsicle-colored yarn. Phew—disaster was averted as I started my much-longed-for "Beaver Believer" scarf.

If it were an occasion where the pressure was less, I would take the time to peruse our own selection of crafting titles at Grass Roots for something a little more creative and challenging. Recently we received a copy of Melanie Falick's Weekend Knitting. It's full of creative ideas for projects to wear, and projects to admire around the home. There are some slippers and some mittens I find particularly intriguing…



For something a little racier, there's The Joy of Sox by Linda Kopp. I'm not much of a sock knitter myself, having completed exactly one wonky sock some time ago, but the pictures in here are so adorable, and the "knitty bits" so intriguing, I may be tempted again.







Finally, to get back to my sewing machine roots, to expand my crochet skills, and to brighten my home with soft-hearted friends, I want to embrace More Softies Only a Mother Could Love by Jess Redman and Meg Leder. Little dolls, little animals, and little unnamable creatures fill this book.

Maybe if I start planning now, I'll be ready for the 2012 Summer Games…

See you in the bookshop!
Pamela.

No comments:

Post a Comment