Sunday, February 21, 2010

Trader Joe's: Friend or Foe?

(Or..."I Must Be Hungry Because This Is All I Can Think About Right Now")

I succumbed to temptation this week: I stopped by Trader Joe's.



Where I grew up in the Midwest, we didn't have Trader Joe's and the fervent passion it seemed to excite in this community was somewhat beyond me. I've stopped at other locations in Oregon and was so overwhelmed by the number of customers that I didn't stay long. (I am a shy and delicate flower...) And the crowds? I definitely wanted to avoid the crowds that the opening of the new store drew.

When I stopped by--Sunday at about 10:15 a.m.--there was a crowd of people, but it wasn't packed. This was doable. I could even see most of the food on the shelves and read the labels. Fresh vegetables and food without a lot of "stuff" in it? Awesome.

In that spirit, it reminded me of the First Alternative Co-op, without the "local" edge. What they both inspired in me today is to find great recipes to make the best use of what they both offer.

Several cookbooks have been published to celebrate Trader Joe's. The I (Heart) Trader Joe's Cookbook by Cherie Mercer Twohy and Cooking With All Things Trader Joe's by Deana Gunn and Wona Miniati both offer tempting photographs, delicious recipes, and totally doable suggestions. They both provide easy ways to impress your significant other using delicious ingredients and creating something special.


A great way to use some of those fresh vegetables, and the delicious locally-grown produce found at First Alternative, is to flip through Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert. The book is divided by season, and each season features delicious recipes for every meal from breakfast to dessert, using the produce found locally.




I need to remember to not flip through the cookbooks so close to my lunch; all of the recipes look delicious and I am hungry. If I'm not gone on my lunch break when you read this, I'll see you in the bookstore soon.

Pamela.

1 comment:

  1. I must admit, though I try to live an anti-corporate lifestyle, I am ecstatic that Trader Joe's came to Corvallis. Now that it's open, I'll probably gain a lot of weight.

    ReplyDelete