Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bon jour, mes amis!

Today in the bookstore, we are getting our groove on to the soundtrack of Amelie, and the gray weather is highlighting my general malaise.  What else is there to dream of but France?  I'm sure it's sunny and gorgeous there, as it will be here soon.  Hopefully very soon...

France, for me, is in the very distant future.  Julia Child blossomed there, I like to remind myself.  I like to cook, too.  Clearly we are soul sisters!  A couple of years ago, before the popularity of Julie & Julia, I read Julia's biography, and it remains one of my favorite books to recommend.  (In fact, you can visit it on my "Pamela's Picks" shelf in the store.)  Child was not perfect, but she was grand and adventurous.  This book focuses on her years in France, when she first learned how to cook (she was not exactly a natural).  She moved there with her much-loved husband, Paul, and they lived there happily for many years.  During that time, she managed to learn to cook, master French cooking, and write a cookbook with Louisette Bertholle and Simone Beck.  The three authors had battles with editors, publishers, and amongst themselves.  Throughout, though, is Child's distinctive voice, zest for life, and always food.  Can't miss it. 

I desperately hope the weather changes soon, and I find myself able to think of something else besides food.  You should stop by the bookstore and offer me your suggestions in the meantime...  See you there!

Pamela.

No comments:

Post a Comment