Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The greatest gift

Good News:  OSU graduation ceremonies are this Saturday!

Hundreds and thousands of graduates across the country are breathing great sighs of relief as another phase of their education comes to an end.  I certainly did when I graduated from Northern Illinois University 14 years ago.  I was so eager to be done with school, I had a countdown going for months.  At any time one of my friends could ask me how many days, and I automatically had an answer for them.  Considering how poor my math skills are, you could really say I did it "like magic."  For little old me, a lot of what followed was a letdown.  Eventually I landed in Corvallis, however, and I came to this little bookstore and life has been pretty good since.  Looking back, I wonder what could have made that time better.  The obvious answer is, "A book presented as a thoughtful gift!"  Following that reasoning, here are my 3 Favorite Books to Give Freshly Minted Graduates:

Oh the Places You'll Go by Dr. Seuss was first given to me shortly before I graduated from college.  One of the greatest English teachers ever, Mrs. Eichelberger, distributed photocopies of the book to her graduating classes.  (Sorry for ratting you out, Mrs. Eich!)  It was fun!  It was frivolous!  It was meaningful and inspiring.  Dr. Seuss had a way with words, and his illustrations joyfully bring his advice to life.  One of my best friends gave the actual book to me once I graduated from college.  I still have both copies, and they are much-loved.

If  you're seeking something more...practical, high school graduates will appreciate The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: College by Joshua Piven, David Bergenicht, and Jennifer Worick.  Everything a new college freshman needs to survive their first year is here, including How to Take on a New Identity, How to Deal with an Unexpected Visit from Your Parents, How to Eat When You're Broke, and How to Ask Your Parents for Money.  Does this stuff really work?  I'm sure the authors spent untold amounts of money testing every theory.    And if that's not true, give it because it's fun!

A book that is truly useful (my copy is quite dog-eared and stained) is How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.  This is a great gift for those graduating from college, or who are going to be living on their own for the first time.  Everybody needs to feed themselves somehow, and Bittman gives cooks the power to do it well.  Whoever's in the kitchen--a first time cook or an experienced one--will benefit from this book.  I like how he offers ingredient options and combination suggestions.  (Anything to make meal planning easier...)  This one lives on my recommendation shelf--stop by and I will be happy to put a copy into your hands!

Being a bookstore, we offer plenty of escapism as well.  So many options...so little time left to decide!  On graduation gifts I mean.  You should really stop by and say hello soon...

See you at the bookstore!

Pamela.

No comments:

Post a Comment