Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Steamy Side of Summer: Part One

I was thinking of what to contribute to Pamela's "Employee Summer Reads" display, when several titles popped up in my mind that I dared not immortalize in an in-store display.  For some reason, if an erotic piece of fiction is going to make it's way into my hands, it will do so in the summertime.  This is NOT why summer is my favorite season, but I will not protest too much in case it seems that this lady...protesteth too much.  Yeah.  Let's just say, summer is a great excuse for any uncomfortable behavior one might exhibit while reading one of these books, such as redness of the face, sweating, or fidgeting uncomfortably in one's seat.  Blame the heat.  Or better yet, the humidity.

There are many different styles of romantic, or "erotic," writing.  We are all familiar with the standard bodice-ripping, he-said/she-said, fainting, kidnapping, overprivileged-spitfire heroine kind of book, Fabio manfully gracing the cover in some sort of pantaloon--you know. This.



I have read my fair share of works of this type.  Perhaps even this exact title (I said perhaps).  I initially dipped my toe in the genre because I found it difficult, as a woman, to ignore a whole category of book clearly geared only towards my gender, and apparently quite popular, judging by the breadth of titles available.  Honestly, though, after reading a few titles (*cough*Rogue*cough*) I was not, ahem, seduced.  What I needed was Beverly Jenkins.  
 


The cover alone has me seduced.  Look at the heroine's hair--it's natural!  And cropped!  And she's not particularly curvaceous!  It only gets better when you find out she's a horse-riding Western outlaw.  And the love interest?  A straight-laced Eastern banker! Oh goodness, however will they make it work?  (I have a feeling love will find a way.)

In addition to showcasing unconventional gender roles, "Wild Sweet Love" also addresses life as a black American post-Civil War.  A large part of the story takes place in an all-black town in the West, making it a fascinating (but still fluffy) spin on a side of history not often addressed.  And yes, things get quite steamy. 

So if you are looking for a blush-inducing diversion this summer, this I can vouch for.  A slight deviation from the standard romance-novel, that still has all the ingredients for success.  If you have any similar recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

No comments:

Post a Comment